Tuesday, February 6, 2018

War Babe - Part 11 Musings

As I am reading many stories and quips on Facebook in the adoption and DNA groups that I belong to, I also have bought a couple of books that I am reading about adoption.  So far, what I have read is very interesting and some good reads.  All About Me I am close to finishing.  It is not my situation, but quite interesting. My son's father who was adopted had sent for his non identifying information like this, so I am familiar with it. While I was looking for my birth mom, he and I were trying hard to use the "clues" from the NII (non identifying information) to try and locate his biological family. 
I find that most stories that I read are kind of heart breaking.  I cannot relate to that at all.  I had the BEST childhood and continue to have a wonderful relationship and closeness with my adopted family that I could ever have wished for.  I do find it sort of funny that I never ever wished I was adopted (before I realized I was).  Many of my friends, who were NOT adopted many times wished they didn't belong to the family they were with.  They felt so different from their siblings or parents.  I am also reading that many kids, adopted and not adopted, have felt that exact same way.  Either because they had such different likes and dislikes from their family or many times when they were mad at a parent or sibling they were wishing they could belong to someone else to go live with.  

I, on the other hand, never ever had those types of thoughts pass into my head!   I never wanted to live with anyone else or belong to anyone else. I always had what I needed and many times what I wanted and my parents never hit or yelled or disrespected me when it wasn't necessary (I'm not saying I was perfect by any means, but it didn't happen often)  I lived in Europe and toured around and saw many castles, and works of art, and ancient cities.  I even attended operas and saw my favorite thing, the Lipizzaner Stallions in Vienna!!  What a THRILL!

My point in this being that I seemed to have different feelings than many of the adopted people I am reading about, both in books and on line.  Once I found out, or rather, realized that I was truly adopted, I didn't really spend a lot of time dwelling on that though. I guess I was just happy with my life, not that I am not extremely happy with my life now!  

I mentioned heredity vs environment earlier in this blog, or nature vs nurture if you please.  I have always wondered about that, and of course I wonder to this day what comes from what situation. Not just me, but with others as well.  I never had the same interests as my parents, like golf or sewing.  I tried both but neither took.  I do crochet and am actually finding out that I am a bit artsy craftsy, (artsy fartsy to me!  haha) but usually I have to follow some pattern, it is difficult for me to think up a pattern or a way to make something. I do follow directions well however, always have. I go through phases. I will crochet every day for two weeks, then put it down and not pick it up for a year.  Same with my stained glass.  I love making it, that is for SURE, but haven't done but one big piece and one small piece in about 9 years!!  I have never sold any, well, one was "commissioned" by a friend of mine for her new home. 

Does Mom do stained glass?  No, she does knit and crochet however.  I learned from her how to crochet and do some needlepoint. So I wonder what types of things my bio family likes.  Did I inherit anything like that from any of them?  I seem to have a natural ability to work with electronic things, NONE of which my parents had.  When the VCR was new and cable TV, they were always calling me over to fix the clock on it or make their remote work etc.  Mom still does.  So I wonder, is that just my generation, is it heredity? Don't know yet.  Still waiting on the DNA test for my suspected half-brother to arrive.  We think it should be any day now.  

I have gotten another book to read that I am told is a good one as well.  Haven't started it.  I do know it will probably strike some cords with me as well.  

Another thought I have had over the years.  When anyone asked me if I would every adopt a baby, my IMMEDIATE (I really mean IMMEDIATE) answer would be no.  I don't know why I feel that way, but I always have.  Thank God I was blessed with two of the best kids in the world, Jake and Stephenie.  They have been my heart.  In reading the things I have been reading, I am finding that many other adopted people have felt that same way.  Some explain it to be because they had a not so good experience growing up with their adopted family.  Others, like me, had a GREAT childhood and continue to have great relationships with family and have not a clue why they say they never would adopt. (shrug)  We KNOW that there are children out there that need a loving home, and whenever anyone I know adopts a child, I am so very pleased for them all.  It just never was in the cards for me, and so I never really had to make that decision. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Adoption - I am a War Babe, part 25

I am not sure what to continue to write as my blog was meant to be about how I found my birth families.  Now that I have officially found th...