Saturday, August 25, 2018

War Babe Adoption Journey - Part 21 - The Reunion

Well dang.. I  have been writing for an hour.. and somehow deleted everything!!! eeeeeekkkk!!  I don't feel like writing it again right now... so stay tuned.... gurrrrrr

Ok, so, I wrote this in Google Docs to save it automatically.  Pasting it here!  I guess because I copied and pasted this some of the paragraphs came out SMALL!  I have tried everything except retyping them to get them to change!!  Maybe at some point i will retype this.  but since it is the second time I have done it... not gonna do it NOW!!!!

The day finally arrived when I would board the plane and fly from Austin to Cincinnati
to meet the family of my birth father.  I had been “talking” to many of them via
Facebook Messenger.
Funny, i had never spoken to any of them other than my Uncle Rick using Marco Polo.
Times have sure changed!  Typing is easier i guess because then the person
can read what
you type right then or at a later time, plus you don't disturb anyone by talking
on the phone.


I was supposed to go with my daughter, Stephenie, but at the very last minute
she was having a medical issue and was unable to go with me.
This did make me sad, but I didn't want to let it get in the way of me going
and having a good time meeting folks!


I boarded the with lots of excited .  Smooth fight. It was a very long walk
to get to the baggage claim where my Uncle and my brother were!
 I think we were all happy to see one another!!

As we began to drive back to Kentucky, I was thinking how beautiful
and GREEN the vegetation was.  They had driven almost 3 hours to
pick me up from the airport in Ohio so there was lots of time to talk and to
look around.


Everything was trees, grass and green.  Very different summer than my mostly
brown grass and flat land in my beloved Texas!


We dropped Tim off and went to my uncle’s house.
 I stayed with them for the first four nights I was there.
 I immediately felt comfortable at their home. It was just so good to be there
and actually see them and speak to them! Aunt Tina was so welcoming and
gracious. Precious little Sammie (little cousin, I think 1st once removed) was there
for the night.  We had a great dinner and (after a meltdown on MY part because
I forgot my hairbrush at home) we went to bed.


I slept so long on Friday morning, Uncle Rick thought he
might have to come check on me!  After a quick breakfast, we set out to visit.
First we went to cousin Vicki’s house. We were both surprised that she had
grown up knowing the story that her Uncle Russ had left a pregnant German girl
when he came back to the states, as she would not come with him.
 (we knew that he had only told his brother-in-law, Charlie,
but didn't realize that others might have known).
Vicki and I seem to look the most alike, her mom was one of my birth
father’s sisters. The funniest thing i was told is that there are two large
Tackett families in the area.  The “long-nose” Tacketts and the “wide-hipped” Tacketts.
And we are NOT the “long-nosed” Tacketts!! LOL


After having a great morning with cousin Vicki, we drove around to a couple
of cemeteries where Rick showed me all of the Tackett relatives who were laid
to rest there. That was very moving for me.
Back at home, we met Uncle Don and Aunt Kay who had driven in to meet me.
 He was my birth father’s (Russ) brother. Once we met with them, we headed off
to see where this Tackett family had their roots. Honestly, we went from Ohio to
Kentucky and back again several times during my days there.  I never knew what
state or city I was in! I think they got tired of me asking where we were! At any rate,

we ended up in Greenup, Kentucky in the “hollar” where my birth father grew up.










I walked around the property, trying to imagine Russ growing up there.
 Going down to the bottom of the hill to catch the school bus. Helping his parents
to garden, keep cows, learn to shoot, etc.  It was just beautiful, peaceful and I could
imagine it. Learning that my great great grandfather owned the mountain and
gave portions of it to his kids, i began to understand them all staying in the area.
 Back in the day that area had jobs in the steel industry, lumber, etc. and it is beautiful!
As this wasn't the first house that Russ had lived in, we stopped where there
used to be a road to the old homestead.  I am told that Russ burned that house



down when he was a kid! (i think that is what i was told!)


We visited with Hot Rod and his wife.  Honestly, I was told his name but even his wife
called him Hot Rod while we were there, so I don't remember his name!  He is a cousin
of mine as well. He, as well as other family members, still live in that area. I really DID
feel a sense of belonging, of family, when we were there!  


After our visiting day, we went to dinner at a great place, I THINK in Ohio.
 LOL Across the Ohio River again.


We ate and talked.  Here is my Uncle Don and Aunt Kay.  




Oh and before all that wonderful day, we stopped at a Dollar Store
for me to buy me a hairbrush!!  Then home, to another shower and
another great night's sleep.


Saturday would bring an exciting “family reunion” at a local restaurant.
(I think in Ohio again?) We picked up a cake for the event and proceeded
to the restaurant.  There I met so many of the folks I had heard about and or talked
to using Facebook. It was not overwhelming at all (as I know some folks feel)
I was so accepted and felt so much love from everyone!  Cousins, my brother,
Uncles, Aunts, and even Russ’s widow, Jan. She was initially angry at
Russ (who has been gone since 2005) for never telling her what he had told Charlie.
However, none of that anger was sent my way at all.  She was the sweetest woman.
She brought me several pictures of Russ and even some pictures of my brothers
when they were younger, which I did not have. Cousins also brought pictures of my
Tackett grandparents, and one of Granny Tacketts handkerchiefs she used in church!
 What beautiful, meaningful, thoughtful gifts! I truly felt
THANKFUL, GRATEFUL AND BLESSED!


This is my Uncle Rick, Uncle Don, and my brother Tim and me.


And here is everyone that attended!!


Uncle Rick said I needed to stand up and tell “my story”, because some had
been following this blog, but some had not.  
So I did.  I fit it all in between ordering our food and them bringing the food!  



Haha - Hope I did ok with that!



After a very successful “reunion” we rested a bit at home and then took off to
Whities Music Barn (I think that was the name) in Ohio.
This is where my brother Tim plays in a band with his bass.
 He even sings some!! Could not wait to go and hear them!




I do have to admit, it wasn't exactly what I expected!
 We drove for a while into the woods (it looked like to me) and then some homes
and then a large building with a few cars parked around in the “parking lot”.
 It certainly didnt look like any music venue I had ever been to!
We parked and walked in to pay the cover charge. To my surprise, there were
rows of church pews all lined up facing the stage in the front! The stage was set up
with speakers and instruments, so I guess we were in the right place!
 I wish I had taken a picture of the pews for those of you who have never been there,
but i didn't. We were introduced to some of brothers friends and then
proceeded to sit down in the third pew.


When the band began to play, I was TOTALLY into the music!
 It was all music I knew and could sing the words! That’s my favorite kind of music!
It was so great to see my brother in his element.  He was more animated and talked
more to us during the break than I had heard! Here he is with the red bass, singing!
I even was asked to dance by one of his good friends!  Had LOTS of fun!


They were done by 10, thank goodness.  I am NOT good at staying up past 10!
So back to Ashland, and have another good night’s sleep!




On Sunday, we were going to try and go to the lake on the pontoon boat,
but Tim had a get together planned with him and his wife Kris and two other couples,
who they feel are their family.  So Tim and his daughter, Jessica (my niece),
picked me up and off we went to get Kris and then over to the couple’s house
that had a pool.


Had a great time all afternoon, just talking and laughing while eating fried chicken,
and all the fixins.  Plus some of the best chocolate drip cake I have had!
(it was store bought, but dang good) Kris and Jessica went swimming.
 It was a great afternoon.




After concluding the afternoon, I went back home where Tina and Rick
were having folks over for taco salad.  I saw several cousins and their kids.
Chris (Scooby), his wife and son, Hannah and her husband with daughter
Kalie (sp?) and Jodie and her daughter Sammie.  Great group of cousins that I
truly enjoyed getting to know!! Cousins are great ya know!!!
Aunt Tina and Uncle Rick
Cousins Scooby and his family


Cousins, Hannah and Scott.
So, my last FULL day in Kentucky, Monday. School had started and work for most.
Tina, Rick and I took out the Pontoon boat to the nearest lake. We had it almost
all to ourselves and it was spectacular!! We ended up at one of the many waterfalls
where Tina and I got in the water on our floats and floated peacefully for quite some time.

What a wonderful time was had by all!  After driving home, showering and resting some, we went back to the cemetery where my birth father is buried. I felt sad there, never getting to meet him, but I felt also that I knew him a bit more, having spoken to everyone about him and seeing more pictures, hearing stories and even seeing him on a home video.  His voice heard for the first time, not sure how to express how I felt... sad? recognition? I am at a loss for words here.  Not normal for me.  


I am more than glad that I was able to go and meet HIS family, my bio family.  I am eternally grateful to have been adopted by wonderful people and I love my family beyond words, my Mom, my cousins, my aunt etc.  But now I have some more folks that accept me just because I am blood.  And that does feel good!  

WHAT IS ONE MORE PERSON IN THIS WORLD WHO LOVES YOU FOR WHATEVER REASON, BUT BLOOD?  I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS MORE PEOPLE WHO CARE!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Adoption - I am a War Babe, part 25

I am not sure what to continue to write as my blog was meant to be about how I found my birth families.  Now that I have officially found th...