Wednesday, August 1, 2018

War Babe Adoption Journey - Part 19

Wow, I have not written in quite a while.  I guess that is because I am sort of in a holding pattern, or I feel like I am.  I have been looking forward to going to Kentucky with my daughter to meet my paternal relatives, and here it is two weeks away!  I have spent the time thinking of what to wear, what to take what to say... etc.  I have also tried to spend time getting to know some of the folks by texting with them on line. Strange thing is, I have never spoken with any of them on the phone!  I have heard my Uncle Rick talk on Marco Polo, but we haven't even used that in quite a while.  

I am still running interference with my adoptive mom as she is upset over my "sudden" interest in all of my adoption stuff.  I put that in quotes because it is definitely NOT sudden.  It is something that I have wondered and questioned most of my adult life within myself.  Today, one of my sister-in-laws said, "I hope you find what you are searching for."  I don't feel that I am actually searching any longer.  Once I found out who my birth father was, I feel that my search is over.  What I AM doing, is wanting to have that thing that most folks take for granted who are NOT adopted.  "I have Aunt Sallie's nose", or "You sure do have your Dad's smile".  Things like that. I also want to find out about my bio genes.  I want to know what my BF was like.  Am I like him?  The old hereditary vs environment thing that has fascinated me all my life. 

The other exciting thing that has happened is that I have finally gotten my birth father's service record!  Before, when I was writing to the National Personnel Records Center, I was trying to find a Tackett that was in Germany at the time I was conceived, as that would have pinpointed who my father was.  Once I found him through DNA though, I wrote off to get his records.  The fascinating thing about this is that there was a fire in 1973 that destroyed almost 80% of the military records for men who were discharged from the military between 1912 and 1960!!!   I am so lucky that I am able to see part of my BF records!  Below is an example of the 7 pages that were sent to me. 

How cool is THAT!!!???!!  
In showing these to my uncle and my brother, they were really surprised, because now I know more than them because no one really knew much about his service in the Army. 
'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Adoption - I am a War Babe, part 25

I am not sure what to continue to write as my blog was meant to be about how I found my birth families.  Now that I have officially found th...