Wednesday, August 29, 2018

War Babe Adoption Journey - Part 23! Oh goodness!

Oh my goodness!  I cant believe I forgot this part!  I had an adventure that I totally forgot to document during my trip to Kentucky, and it probably means just about the most to me!

When I first met my Uncle Don, he gave me a pocket knife that my birth father used to carry with him.  
  

I was carrying it in my hand as I walked around the land where he grew up trying to imagine what it was like when he was young growing up in this green green hollar. 


When I was packing, i slipped it into a pocket in one of my two suitcases. I had only taken one, but since it weighed over 40 pounds (50!) I asked them in the Austin airport if I could use the cost of my daughter's check bag since she wasn't coming and I had paid for one for each of us.  Well, she let me do that, but warned me that in Cincinnati, they may not do the same, and she suggested that I purchase another suitcase just in case.  So I did. 

When leaving to come home, I went to the baggage check desk and they were reluctant to let me check both bags since I had paid for only one.  I told them the story and after some discussion they decided that I could have my personal backpack and a carry on (the new bag was small enough for a carry on) without paying extra.  

I proceeded to the TSA where they scan your carry on bags.  As I waited in line, I realized that I had that pocket knife and did not know exactly where I had put it. Well, as fate had it, I had put it in the small new bag thinking it would be checked.  Of course they took it out and told me I could not have it.  I told them it was my birth father's knife and I had planned to check that bag.  I was told that I could go to a local store there and have it sent to myself. whew!!

I took my stuff back out at the gate entrance and went into a general type store, food, drinks, magazines etc.  The lady at the counter was great.  She said that she did this sort of thing for many folks in the same position, and that she did it for HER FATHER.  He would want her to have his pocketknife. (she was probably in her 70's) She handed me an envelope and told me to address it to myself as she prepared the knife by wrapping it in heavy paper and taping it well.  She then taped it into the envelope so it would not move around and rip it.  She would not take any money for it because her dad would not like that, she said. 

OF course I went back through the carry-on check and passed with flying colors!  
Never thought of the knife after I got home I guess until yesterday, there it was in my mailbox!  I feel so lucky to have it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Adoption - I am a War Babe, part 25

I am not sure what to continue to write as my blog was meant to be about how I found my birth families.  Now that I have officially found th...